Monday, March 9, 2009

Lunch Eats From the Week

You've already seen a week of my life in breakfasts. I hope that you were inspired with some fun ideas regarding how to shake up your own morning meal. Now continue stalking me through another week. This time, here are some lunch eats! I focus on meals that are portable, quick fixes, and are balanced in terms of incorporating fruits and veggies, complex carbs, and protein. I also like to include something warm for the lingering winter weather. Let me know what you think!

Monday: Hummus, avocado, bell pepper, and romaine on an Ezekiel pita, with red grapes (crunchy yum!), and 1 cup of organic creamy tomato soup. I really love pita and tortilla sandwiches, as you will soon discover. . . .

Tuesday: Tomato soup again (it's that good!), this time with a whole wheat tortilla stuffed with peanut butter, rosemary, sliced pear, and romaine, with more pear slices on the side. More on this sandwich later this week!

Wednesday & Friday: I enjoyed the last of the leftover crock pot soup, with a honey Oikos and a pear (can you tell that I was trying to use up the pears before they went bad?). This photo is of my Friday lunch. Apparently Wednesday's lunch picture disappeared into the ether of the internet. Or my digital camera. Or I just forgot to take a picture. Oops!

Thursday: Okay, so I wasn't much for variety this week. Another cup of tomato soup, and paired with pear (ha! a pear pun! how fruity . . .) and a peanut butter-based sandwich. This time the sandwich was filled with peanut butter, romaine, quark, and pickle. Pickle?! You bet! Both this concoction and Tuesday's sandwich are potential entrants for The Great Peanut Butter Exhibition sandwich contest. Any thoughts on which I should choose? Again, watch for a post later this week going into great depth on this lunch treat.

Saturday: I had scrambled eggs (made using 1 cup egg replacers) mixed with mango peach salsa and chili pepper and topped with ketchup. Yum! I love this healthy, fat-free, super-protein-y meal. It's also great with jalapeno cheddar. I also ate a golden corn VitaTop with a little sugar free maple syrup as well as butternut squash fries a la the Say Yes to Salad recipe, also doused in ketchup. (Incidentally, you should head over The Salad Girl's blog for an earring giveaway!)

Sunday: Ahhh, Sunday. I took the time to try out another Say Yes to Salad recipe, this one for mint chutney. I spread some on a whole wheat tortilla along with a wedge of light Laughing Cow garlic and herb cheese, apple, cucumber, and romaine. Using a side of apple wedges and sea salt pita chips for dipping, this lunch with light, refreshing, and totally delicious. I can't get enough of this chutney! You must try it. Now, if possible.

So there you have it. A whole week of lunch stalking, Kitchen Courage-style! Did you get any ideas on how to switch up your midday meal? What is one of your favorite lunches?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King