Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Blogless

Okay, I'm not really blogless. Rather, I'm idea-less. I'm feeling decidedly uninspired to blog tonight. With that said, I'll leave you with yesterday's lunch: Rachel's plum honey lavender yogurt (this yogurt really is "wickedly delicious," as the company moniker states -- I highly recommend this flavor!), a TLC pumpkin pie granola bar from Kashi, and kimchi.

I first encountered kimchi in Malaysia. A spicy Korean pickled cabbage concoction, kimchi takes a little getting used to. It's flavor can be a shock to the taste buds. Once you're acclimated, though, I think kimchi is quite a treat. I prefer to eat it as a cold side salad. You could also mix it into noodles or soup, top a burger with it, or even make savory kimchi pancakes. I find kimchi's smell appealing, if distinctive. Kimchi is also super healthy, and was even named one of the World's Healthiest Foods by Health magazine. Check out some of these health benefits, according to Eating Healthy and Wikipedia:
  • low calorie and low fat
  • high in vitamins A, B, and C, calcium, and iron, and is loaded with fiber
  • packed with lactobacilli, a healthy bacteria found in fermented foods (like yogurt!) that helps with digestion and can prevent yeast infections
  • made with fermented cabbage, which may help prevent cancer
What's not to love? You should try some! Kimchi is available at some food stores, and particularly at health food or import markets. If you can't find premade kimchi, try out this recipe for ultimate kimchi and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King