Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tragedy Strikes!

Okay, so that title might be a little misleading. But you can bet that I felt rather devastated when my trusty hoop split at its connecting point yesterday morning. Having already hooped for my planned amount of time, however, I shrugged it off and went about getting ready for my day, knowing I would attempt to make my very first hoop later that day (!!).

When I began to put the new hoop together, though, I came to a second awful realization -- the connectors I had bought to secure the tubing in the necessary "O" shape were far too big! My hoop manufacturing ground to a pathetic halt. The Best Husband Ever found me sitting rather miserably in the middle of my living room floor, indulging in some quality brooding for a few minutes.

All this hoop tragedy would be so, well, tragic if Hoop City was not hosting the very first synchronized hoop jam tomorrow night. At 7:00 PM Mountain Time, hoopers all across the country will be hooping as one in their various locations for twenty minutes. Then everyone will converge in the chat room and enjoy some hoopy fellowship. This type of an event is especially great for me, as my town seems sadly void of any potential hooping buddies. So to miss it would make me quite sad.

What's a hooper to do? Tomorrow I plan on hitting up the hardware store for smaller connectors and trying to bang out a new hoop in time for the jam. If that doesn't happen, however, I can always use my smaller hoop (which is harder) or my larger, lighter travel hoop (which just feels a bit flimsy, but might be good for practicing shoulder and knee hooping). I also still have my water-filled toy hoop if everything else goes to pot. Which I hope it doesn't.

Hoopy woe is me! Or something. I think I'll drown my sorrows in a cup (or pot . . .) of Green Mountain flavored coffee. Won't you join me, and enter the coffee giveaway while you're at it? It would help put a smile on my face as I mourn the passing of my very first "official" hoop.

2 comments:

  1. is there hope for the hoop??!!this morning i heard the song canned heat (from napoleon dynamite) and thought of you hooping to it. i think you should. once the hoop heals of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, Clare -- I just downloaded Canned Heat!

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King