Friday, April 24, 2009

Trial By 10K

I can't believe it's already upon me -- my first 10K race! Tomorrow is the 37th Riverbank Run, hosted by and benefiting the local YMCA. Participants can choose to run in the 10K, 5K, or 1 mile races, or compete in all three. Ouch! I'm nervous enough about the 10K and can't imaging running all three legs. Sheesh.

I'm feeling a little bummed due to the weather. The beginning of the week was hot -- I went for a couple of runs as well as a field trip with my students and got sweaty and crispy from the sun. It was, in a word, fabulous (crispiness aside). Now, however, the skies are cloudy, the wind gusting, and I'm back to shivering in the damp chill that has pervaded the city. The National Weather Service currently has the following prediction for tomorrow's conditions:
Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 55. South wind at 11 mph becoming west northwest.
Awesome. (That was sarcasm, by the way.) I'm not a big fan of running in the cold. It will be difficult to motivate myself to get out of bed in time for the frosty 9 A.M. start time. Hopefully it won't be too chilly out, and I can definitely bundle up. However, I was really looking forward to running in a skort, getting some sun, and sweating like a human-shaped pig. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Not that the race won't be any fun at all as a result. Quite the contrary, I think. Despite the less-than-perfect conditions, I'm sure it will be a blast. It's one of the community's most popular athletic events, with people from all walks of life turning out to run or cheer. It will be an experience in community, if nothing else, I think.

And although I know that the race will be fun, I'm still a bundle of nerves that's growing bigger by the minute. I'm worried that I'll need to use the bathroom 30 minutes into the race, and that that will mess up my time and the fun factor. Even more concerning, what if I need to use the bathroom and there isn't one available? That would be even worse. Gulp. I'm trying to stay hydrated and not eat too much fiber today to help cut down on that likelihood. Keep your fingers crossed!

Here are my goals for my premiere 10K:
  • Run the entire route at a steady, moderate pace (a.k.a., don't get overexcited and start out at a 5K pace and burn out halfway through)
  • Don't beat myself up if I do need to use a bathroom
  • Stay aware of my body's needs and the difference between pushing myself and hurting myself
  • Meet some new people
  • Have fun!
I think those goals are achievable and realistic, don't you? Send some good thoughts my way if it crosses your mind, and happy Friday! Here's to sanity, health, and, of course, running!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King