Saturday, April 25, 2009

Is it Race Day Already?

It's here. I knew it was coming, but I did not expect that it would arrive so quickly. Such stealth, such speed . . . one day it was a distant prospect, and then suddenly it was today.

My first 10K race. Gulp.

The race starts in exactly 1 hour and 33 minutes from now. The call to the starting line is in 1 hour and 18 minutes. Double gulp.

But I'm ready. I'm not sure how much more ready I could be. I've hydrated well (no mean feat for this girl -- I really don't like drinking any kind of liquid). I cut down on some fiber in yesterday's diet to make for less active intestines during the race. I've eaten a small but fueling breakfast -- one golden corn VitaTop toasted and smeared with peanut butter. I've rested (or at least, slept more than usual, if not the full 8 hours -- I was awake with jitters, an overactive bladder due to excessive hydration, and other distractions).

My mp3 player is chock full of peppy songs, from Coldplay to (yes, I'll admit it with only a little shame) Britney to movie soundtracks. I know that I can comfortably run more than 6+ miles, and I know what kind of pace I need to get me through to 7. I am fairly familiar with the racecourse. I'm about to get dressed, hang out with God for a bit, pin my racing number on, and then -- I'll be ready to run.

Wish me luck, bloggy friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King