Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Weekend Recap

What a weekend! I hope that you had a great Easter, regardless of whether you celebrate it or just eat the fallout chocolate. My weekend was pretty okay, all things considered.

The Best Husband Ever and I started our Saturday in the usual style -- heading to one of the local coffee shops-come-bakeries for a treat and a game of Scrabble. It was packed this particular weekend! After waiting in line for quite some time, we eventually made it back to our table with a cinnamon roll (for him), a mediocre strawberry rhubarb muffin (for me), and a tepid tea and coffee. We made the best of it, though, and completed a great Scrabble match. At the suggestion of a barista friend, we haven't been competing during our last few weekend games. Instead, we play as usual and calculate a collective point total. This Saturday's game added up to over 600 (possibly over 650!), which I think is pretty darn good.

After our treat day, we headed to the mall on a fruitless search for shoes (for me) and shorts (for him). We also checked out some lawnmowers at Sears because not only did we just about finalize everything for our house purchase (wow!), but our move is imminent! We're thinking about getting a reel mower, but aren't sure if it's just a little on the small size in ratio to our yard. Any lawn mower aficionado opinions out there? Anyhoo, after our mall trip, we went to Costco for groceries (broccoli, mushrooms, apples, mini bell peppers, cottage cheese, pitas, cooking spray). As usual, the Best Husband Ever salivated at the Costco food court pizza, so I decided why not -- we went in for some lunch. I got a vanilla frozen yogurt, while he got to enjoy his much-missed pizza and a swirled yogurt of his own. It was a yummy treat lunch, although my decision was somewhat motivated by the fact that my offending tooth was still quite tender and I didn't want to make or eat anything more solid.

After lunch, the hubby and I hung around the house for a bit, planning to bike one of our dogs over to the dog park for some romping. (Only one is really good at biking on-leash, and I'm not confident enough of a biker to commandeer either dog, so only one pup gets to go at a time.) Unfortunately, it started to get fairly winding and then rain. So instead I whipped up some of this fusion hummus for dinner. I love hummus, and enjoy the combination of rosemary (I used dried instead of fresh) and balsamic vinegar, so I figured I couldn't really go wrong. This hummus was pretty good, but not as amazing as I had hoped. The Best Husband Ever (not a fan of hummus or balsamic vinegar) stoicly ate a small spoonful with a toasted pita while I spread mine on some garlic Melba Toasts.

Before we got to dinner, though, the rain cleared up so the Best Husband Ever and I decided to drive both dogs to the park. There, Jackson (the black one) got to run amok with his canine brethren, splash in the rapidly rising river, and mostly ignore our frisbee-throwing. Cody (the white one) stays on the leash because he threatens other dogs and can get very aggressive. He used to be better, but ever since we got Jackson his aggression has worsened. Now we can't trust him off-leash around other dogs. Sad and annoying. But he still got to play in the river, which he loves.

At that point, I was still taking ibuprofen and Tylenol P.M. for my aching tooth. However, I had been using these drugs since Monday or Tuesday, and both the hubby and I were considered about the long-term usage. When I woke up on Sunday morning (happy Easter! yay Jesus!), I decided to forgo painkillers for the day to see what would happen -- I wasn't even sure they were helping at all, in which case I did not want them in my system. I made it through an hour of yoga, then a lovely church service (the worship rocked!), a little mingling afterwards, a quick non-bulk-sized grocery trip (canned pumpkin, cream cheese, yogurt, Cool Whip, corn thins, French bread), and finally home again, feeling like you see above. I was not happy.

Still, I decided to try to wait the pain out, so I didn't take anything before heading over to my wonderful in-laws' for Easter lunch. My mother-in-law made an amazing meal of this veggie tian, chicken cordon bleu (which I'd never had before, didn't expect to like, and then did), salad, green beans, and angel food cake with strawberries for dessert. It was all delicious! However, my tooth pain worsened (even though it felt fine while chewing, oddly enough), so that we had to quickly hit the road after lunch so I could get home and brush my teeth. That didn't help, and I felt miserable, so I caved and took an ibuprofen. If I wasn't sure that the drugs worked before, I am now -- within an hour I felt no pain, and was able to nap and then work out. Huzzah!

I was even able to get out and enjoy some of the sunshine (the last of it before snow starts to fall again this week -- ugh). Ibuprofen is my friend!

Even my plants got to soak up some sun. I do not have a green thumb, as you might be able to tell from this sad collection of dubious greenery. Any suggestions?

So there you have it -- my Easter weekend/continuing tooth saga in a not-so-small nutshell. Since my taking of the ibuprofen yesterday afternoon, I've been able to eat with relatively no pain, and I took a Tylenol P.M. before bed and another ibuprofen this morning before yoga as preventative measures. I'm heading off to work in an hour and hope that I won't have to take any more pills for the day, although I might in the late afternoon if pain returns so I can get some exercise in. Hopefully -- oh, how I hope!! -- I won't need a reed canal. Pray with me, folks, and enjoy your Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King