Thursday, November 5, 2009

Bagel Bagel

A few weeks ago I discovered mini whole wheat bagels at (of all places) Wal-Mart. I really enjoy bread, and these bagels smelled so good that I had to buy a package. I immediately devoured one with some cream cheese for lunch, then froze the rest. While I love me a good bagel, I don't have them all that often, even in miniature.

Twelve mini bagels is a lot of bagel, apprently. I didn't quite realize this, and I soon grew bored with my favored cream cheese. To solve this problem, enter the blender/food processor! I am at times a fanatical hummus creator. I also like whipping up other variations, like nut butters, cream cheese, and fruit based spreadables. Can you guess how I jazzed up my mini bagel lunches this week?

Tuesday's bagel was topped with a hummus made from garbonzo beans, a little bit of pumpkin puree, plus medjool dates (sans pits, of course!), garlic, cumin, chili powder, and a squeeze of lemon juice. This is quite possibly my new favorite hummus concoction! Look at that mini bagel (photo right -- yum!), all toasted and decked out in hummus. Doesn't it look tasty?


Another favorite new blend of mine is the apple walnut spread that got devoured with yesterday's bagel lunch. The ingredients are just what the name implies -- one fresh, diced apple and about 1/4 cup of walnuts, blendblendblended. I may have thrown a bit of cinnamon and honey in as well, but not much. The result was surprisingly tangy and flavorful.

I've only got two mini bagels left in the staff freezer here at school. I'm looking forward to today's lunch -- I will scarf one of said bagels, half with the remainder of the apple walnut spread, and half with a lackluster banana/nutmeg/PB2 concoction that I'd rather not discuss. You understand. My guess is that the bagel will improve the unmentionable spread -- even a mediocre topping can't ruin the delight of a freshly toasted bagel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King