Sunday, June 28, 2009

Keep Your Sweat Off the Table, Please

It's hot! I know that I've been complaining about summer taking its sweet time to show up here in Montana -- but now it's here in full force! That means no more outdoor afternoon runs, no more killer midday hikes with the pups, and no more super-hot cooking methods at dinner time.

Our new house, as wonderful as it is, gets extraordinarily warm in the kitchen and living room. Add some hardcore oven time or even a stove top meal and suddenly the Best Husband Ever is a sweating, panting mess at the dinner table. To alleviate his discomfort as well as get myself out of the uncomfortable task of preparing dinner around a 400*F oven, days like this call for a no-cook recipe.

How about a twist on the same-old-same-old tuna salad? Tuna is super healthy for you -- it provides a hefty protein punch and brings along some vitamin B6 and those omega-3 fatty acids, strengthening the cardiovascular system, protecting the heart, reducing inflammation, and possibly even preventing cancer. How fabulous! (Learn more about tuna's health benefits at The World's Healthiest Foods.)

Given tuna's huge nutrition quotient, it's a shame that I grew up detesting the food. I could not stand canned tuna plain (and really, who can?), but even the standard tuna salad concoction turned my stomach. Still, I did not give up on the canned fish, and I'm thankful that's true. Otherwise I would not have been able create, taste, and adore this Tex-Mex twist on ye olde Tuna salade.

It's Too Hot! Tex-Mex Tuna Salad

6 oz. can light tuna, drained
1 T dried onion flakes
1/3 cup salsa (I used garlic lime)
1/4 cup sour cream (I used fat-free quark)
1/2 tsp cumin

Optional add-ins
1/2 avocado, diced
1 crunchy red apple (I used a cameo apple)
1/4 cup black olives, sliced (I did not use olives)

Stir all the ingredients together in a large bowl until well-combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but ideally no longer than 2 hours. Serve with tortilla chips, over dark and leafy fresh veggies, or all on its own.

Serves 2.

Kaivalya, please don't forget to contact me at escagnel04 (at) yahoo (dot) come to collect your yoga-licious winnings! Also, our 10% discount code, KitchenCourage, is still valid at YogaDownload.com until June 30. You've still got two more days, so don't miss out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King