Friday, June 12, 2009

Baby Mine

Okay, okay, so I don't have a newborn baby of my own as the title of this post indicates. I do, however, have a brand new nephew, and I got to meet him for the first time yesterday! Two of my out-of-state sisters-in-law are visiting for the weekend, and one of them brought along her hubby and five week old son. This baby is just about the sweetest boy ever, and I got to cuddle with him quite a bit over the last couple of days. Everyone else did, too. I wonder if the kiddo felt a little like a football, getting passed from arm to arm. But we all cherished our baby time, even the Best Husband Ever . . . and even my mother!

It must be family week or something because, in addition to my visiting in-laws, my New Jersey-dwelling mom flew in today. We spent the late afternoon catching up, taking some silly photos, getting her thoroughly covered in exuberantly shed dog hair, and taking a walk around the neighborhood in the late afternoon sun. This is her first visit since we bought our house, and she put her much-welcomed stamp of approval on the abode. I tend to get super stressed when my folks roll into town, but it's great to see her. I've missed my mom!

This evening we headed over to the hubby's parents' house for some baby juggling, a really blessed hangout time, and, of course, a delicious dinner. One sister made a yummy orzo with herbed feta, and there was also grilled chicken, grilled bell peppers (one of my new veggie favorites!), steamed broccoli, and strawberry-crowned angel food cake for dessert. Does that sound amazing or what?

I brought my own contribution to the meal, and felt heartened when it received rave reviews all around. As you probably have realized by now, I love hummus. I also like to make hummus, and to create unique twists based on the basic chickpea spread. Tonight, I toted some olive Food Should Taste Good chips to dip in a tub of homemade curried mango hummus. I simply added chunks of mango to my curried hummus recipe -- which is one of my favorite versions of hummus already -- and melted in happiness at first taste. Light, sweet, and spicy all at the same time, this is a knock-your-socks-off kind of concoction. Perhaps not as sweet as a newborn nephew, but it takes a close second.

Curried Mango Hummus

1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 heaping spoonful minced garlic (or to taste)
3 tsp curry powder
3 T lemon juice
1 cup diced mango
a squirt of hot sauce (I used Sriracha)
water as needed

Throw all of the ingredients except for the water into a blender or food processor. Blend until fully combined, adding water incrementally if the mixture is too thick to process properly. Enjoy with crackers, chips, fresh or grilled veggies, grilled chicken, salmon, or just straight up. Smile and prepare to swoon in taste bud delight.

Makes about 2 cups.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King