Friday, May 2, 2008

Smoothies Make the World Go 'Round

Or at least, they help my little corner of the world turn a little more smoothly. (Ha! Smoothie -- smoothly . . . it's funny! Right . . . ?) Inspired by Susan's lovely Jolly Green Smoothie, I decided to try blending up a green smoothie of my own. Why? Because of the green, of course! I was tickled by her verdantly hued drink and couldn't resist putting together my own version. Behold the result -- a frothy, colorful, and surprisingly delicious and beverage that can serve as breakfast (add extra yogurt or milk if you opt for this route), dessert, or a snack. Susan mentioned that she couldn't taste the spinach in her own green smoothie at all. I was surprised to find that this is absolutely true. Don't believe me? Try it yourself.

Palm Tree Green Smoothie

1 handful fresh baby spinach
1 handful ice cubes
1/4 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 T frozen orange concentrate
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup pineapple chunks

Other tropical tidbits that would complement this concoction include coconut milk (or any kind of milk, really), banana, mango, pear, and papaya. Get creative and go nuts! (And, come to think of it, macadamia nuts might make another good addition here!)

Blend, then sip away, preferably with one of those colorful curly straws tucked into the smoothie alongside a tiny paper umbrella. Close your eyes and imagine that you're sun-bathing in the Caribbean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King