Sunday, December 25, 2011

The First Chritmas, Part Two

Today was supposed to be our last Christmas before our first child was born into our world.  Instead, it was our first Christmas without the daughter we had hoped for.  I expected to be lost in grief today.

But it wasn't like that.  Instead of darkness, instead of heaviness, God brought us joy for Christmas.  Impossible, miraculous joy.

I expected a day drowned by tears.  But instead I was buoyed laughter and gratitude and music and love.  Celebration.  The best Christmas I have ever experienced.

How is this possible?

The only answer I can scrape together is that today, perhaps, I have finally experienced what Christmas really is: the impossible gift.

I am blessed.



Read The First Christmas, Part One . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King