Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Happy Fall, Y'all

Fall has officially arrived. Signs of the season are everywhere I turn -- trees are baring their limbs, kids walking to school are donning cozier clothing, and I've been crock-potting up a storm. Pumpkins are appearing on doorsteps, snow has fallen in the mountains (yep . . . snow), and Starbucks has brought back their fall latte lineup.

I'm a pumpkin fan. All things squash make me smile. Plain pumpkin puree, roasted acorn squash, pumpkin butter, spaghetti squash, squash pies, pumpkin smoothies, pumpkin mixed with cottage cheese -- I just can't get enough! So of course I had to try Starbucks' pumpkin spice latte. Last year I had my first and last one on the same day. I tried in and immediately put the cup down. I thought it tasted awful! My pumpkin-hating husband probably chuckled to himself at that, since I'm a very active pumpkin proselytizer in our home.

When the pumpkin lattes returned this year, I felt rather sad as I read about other food bloggers enjoying their autumnal caffeine. I wanted in, but just didn't like the taste. Then I saw how a couple of bloggers modified their lattes from the standard version, ordering a pumpkin spice latte with only two pumps of flavor. I decided to give the latte another shot, and guess what -- it's so much more delicious with the lighter flavoring!

Yum slurp yum -- that's the sound of my enjoying the new and improved version of the pumpkin spice latte. Now I understand what my fellow bloggers see in this drink! Have you tried this version of the latte? What are your thoughts? And how is fall manifesting itself in your corner of the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King