Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Plagiarized Shrimp Burritos

This weekend, I got a new job. Yes, another one. Except this time, it's a job with staying power. A job I can depend on. A job that's going to stick around. Full-time. For the school year. Teaching.

Finally -- finally -- after two years of substitute teaching in the extremely competitive public school system, I've managed to snag a full-time position. I'll be working as a paraprofessional (teacher's aide) with students who have behavioral concerns. It will be a tough and, I'm sure, often thankless job, but ultimately rewarding in many ways. I'll need lots of patience and courage for this one!

Yesterday was my first day. Well, sort of. You see, I thought it was my first day, but it really just was a kick-off meeting of all the educators in the district that lasted about an hour. Walking out the door earlier than expected, I wondered what I could do with my found hours. I had a yearning for some sweet potato fries from the Hob Nob, my favorite place to eat in town, but no one was available for a last minute lunch. Not feeling like partaking of such a treat of a meal alone, I rather forlornly headed home for lunch.

I'm so glad that I did! While perusing one of the newest additions to my blog subscriptions, Eat, Live Run, I ran across a recipe for a shrimp burrito that called for yellow summer squash. Having purchased just such a squash at the farmer's market this weekend and wondering what I would do with my golden gem of delight, I knew that there was only one thing I could do. I made myself Jenna's shrimp burrito for lunch.

I made a few tweaks to the recipe, such as opting for hickory BBQ sauce, for example, rather than Texas Pete as a) I have no idea what Texas Pete is, and b) don't have any. I also used black beans rather than refried (personal preference), garlic (of course), and cheddar cheese as that's what I had on hand. To make the burrito even more snazzy, I defrosted a package of guacamole I had purchased and then saved back in February and added a couple of tablespoons to the top of this jumbled pile o' food heaven. Throw on a spoonful of fat-free quark and you've got yourself a tangy Cajun open-faced burrito. Be sure to use plenty of cayenne!

This recipe is simple, delicious, quick, and very healthy and filling. I ate this with a side salad dressed with fat-free roasted sweet pepper and garlic vinaigrette. It more than hit the spot, and I will definitely be making it again. Thanks, Jenna!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King