Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015 Word of the Year {#OneWord365}

from my painting Heart-Follower
For the past couple of years, I've picked a guiding word or phrase for each 365 day run, hoping that this would help me to better hone in on my goals for that period of time.  And -- the practice has been life-changing for me, in beautiful and challenging ways.

This year, I'm doing it again.

But I feel like picking this year's word is particularly challenging, because 2015 is (if all goes well) a birthing year.  We'll be welcoming a new baby into our lives in the spring, so the majority of my energy in 2015 will be poured into my childrens' lives, not into my personal goals.  And that is wonderful, and sacred, tear-inducing and at times grueling -- it is the life of a mama. 

So I need a word that will carry me through those early days of caring for an infant, with little sleep and leaking breasts and the riches of cupping tiny toes in my palm and cradling this sweet slip of a miracle to my chest.  Of transforming into a mom with two very small people in my care, two sets of crankiness, and two bundles of heart-rending beauty and golden snuggles.

But I also need a word that will carry me to the start of those days.

To, and then through.  How could one word possibly span all of that?

I really didn't think it was possible.  So I waited, fretting, and tried to remember to breathe, trust.

And then, sure enough, as November rolled over into December, a word began pursuing me.  It really felt like that.  Not that I found it, but that it found me.  And my heart leapt when it did.

Play.

Play was the word.

Play, God, the Universe, and Everything seemed to be whispering to my soul.  Be free.  Enjoy.  Go lightly.  

Play with your children.
Play with paint and papers and glue.
Play with your words.
Play with spirit.
Play with courage, and with trying new things, and with going to bed early.
Play with new books, and old ones.
Play with your food.
Play with intimacy, with love, with your beloved and your self.
Play with the moon and the stars and the sun.
Play with your body, with its movements and pauses and sacred rhythms.
Play with the breath.
Play with knowing and not.
Play with friends and friendship.
Play with forgiveness and release and opening palms.

Play with everything imaginable and unimaginable.  Embark upon everyday adventures.  Frolic along with a treasure map to yourself.  Look for the fun.  Look for the joy.  Get a little dirty, and enjoy this gorgeous tangle of a life.

Play.

And so I will.


I will be posting about my year of Play here on the blog.  But if you'd like to really see inside my 2015, follow along with the hashtag #myplayfulyear2015 on Instagram.

Are you picking a word or phrase or theme of the year for 2015?  If so, I'd love to know what it is and what it means to you.  And don't forget to link up with the One Word 365 site if you blog about it!

4 comments:

  1. I just blogged about this ... yes, almost 10:00 at night and I am blogging .... because I just don't care about the rules anymore. I need to write when I can, when it feels right.

    My 2015 word is Soul ... because I am soul hungry. This year will be the year that I become reacquainted with my soul, reclaim, restore. It's time.

    Love the changes you have made here. ( they may be old changes, I don't know ... I usually read on bloglovin and I hadn't noticed until today)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes to writing when you can, and when the need takes you. especially as a mama, I totally get that. I LOVE your word. yes to soul. yes to reclaiming, restoring. yes to you.

    and thanks! I was playing yesterday with design and such, so nope, not old changes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely word for your year! Looking forward to seeing how it unfolds for you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, Alissa! this will be an interesting year for both of us. :)

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King