Wednesday, May 23, 2012

All I Need To Know

Last green
Something from today's God/journaling time . . .

I am sitting on the couch with my open Bible in my lap.  I have put myself in God's presence as much as I know how.  But I still feel flighty, distracted.  My mind wanders easily.  And I wonder what I'm supposed to be getting, what I'm doing wrong.  All I know is that the tree outside the window, with its leaves clapping in the breeze, is lovely.

I seem to hear God say, "That is all you need to know right now -- that the tree I made is lovely, that it is outside your window, and that you enjoy it."  It is said gently, with love.

Is this what life with God is?  Not earth-heaving messages about the day, about how to be useful to Him or productive, but instead a quiet whisper to enjoy the simplicity of this tree, and not even a tree that is particularly spectacular or stately?  

I wonder.

"God is supremely esteemed.  His center holds.
Zion brims over with all that is just and right.
God keeps your days stable and secure -- 
salvation, wisdom, and knowledge in surplus,
and best of all, Zion's treasure, Fear-of-God."

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful Beth!!! Encouraging and true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful.
    thank you for sharing, for real.

    Sometimes when trying to be in His Presence, I also find myself wondering....

    It's a relaxed sort of wonder. A beautiful wonder.
    Keep wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES, God is whispers. The "little things" that are huge. For me right now, its the "seemingly random" hug from a friend I haven't seen in 15 years. Its the song of a bird that brings me back somewhere happy. Its how a small and generally "meaningless" situation works out with no kinks.

    "I'm still here," He says. "See me in these little wonders, and the big badnesses will lighten for a bit."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the little ways He shows up are more important than the big ways sometimes, because it shows just how much He really does care about us. He's not just looking at the major stuff, but at every tiny bit of hurt and pain and joy and silliness in our lives. Amazing that He wants to, that He's eager to do that. I love how you put that, Clare.

      Delete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King