Sunday, April 29, 2012

{Sad Hope Songs} "I Will Carry You" by Selah

I find it strange that I haven't written about this song yet.

This song came into being after Todd and Angie Smith found out that their daughter, Audrey, was incompatible with life.  She was not expected to survive pregnancy, much less live outside of her mother.  Miraculously, Audrey did survive the pregnancy, but only for a few precious hours.

You may have followed Angie's blog about their journey toward their daughter's inevitable death.  That blog, this song, and Angie's book by the same name chronicle what Angie calls "the sacred dance of grief and joy."  Impossibly, Angie's words and this song point toward hope.  Toward life, even though death was (and is) all around.

I cannot express how profoundly I have been impacted by this song and by Angie's writings.  When I need to cry . . . wen I need to rejoice in the midst of difficult circumstances . . . when I need to feel less alone in this lonely journey of babyloss -- I turn to this song.  I sing along, or sob along, and feel so grateful for the faith and courage it took to birth this love song into being. 

Every weekend I share a song that has been particularly soothing or healing to me since my daughter, Eve, was stillborn. I call these “sad hope songs,” because they are usually melancholy sounding but also full of the beautiful hope that is born out of pain and suffering. To pass a song on to me, please leave your recommendation in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. I love this song also Beth! I play it often. I also read the book, which was so helpful to read after my loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been a vital song for me too. It was the first book I read after Hannah died and helped me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, this song is one of my favorites also.

    I don't know if you are familiar with it, but I love the song "Smallest Wingless" by Craig Cardiff.

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King