Saturday, February 11, 2012

{Sad Hope Songs} "Held" by Natalie Grant


"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified . . . for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.”


~ Deuteronomy 31:6


"Held" is one of those songs that has always made me sob without fail.  And now, in this life after my daughter's death, that is doubly true -- but this song is now also more encouraging than ever before.  Because the fact is that I am held.  I dwell in the palm of God's hand, and nothing -- nothing -- can take me away from Him.

I have never felt more sure of the promises of God.  He says He will never leave or forsake us, and I am finding it to be more and more true each day.  Because of my suffering, I am finally learning what it is to be loved, to be seen, to share my suffering with the One who cares best, to know that He counts every tear that dampens my cheeks and wastes none of it.


Every weekend I share a song that has been particularly soothing or healing to me since my daughter, Eve, was stillborn. I call these "sad hope songs," because they are usually melancholy sounding but also full of the beautiful hope that is born out of pain and suffering. To pass a song on to me, please leave your recommendation in the comments.

5 comments:

  1. Never Alone by Barlow Girl, Blessed Be the Name by Matt Redman ( I read an article that he and and his wife wrote this song out of the book of Job, after a series of miscarriages they had suffered through), Praise You in This Storm by Casting Crowns, Rain by Leon Young ( worship leader at SHEC), Jesus bring the Rain by?, Strong Enough by ?, are just some that come to mind right now. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a song that I have always loved, but it has such a different impact since losing Hannah. We got a card from someone that said, ""I have prayed that while you are down, you'll remember whose almighty hand you are in." It was such a great reminder--God didn't just carry us for a few days and then say, "Okay, it looks like you've got this now, so see you later." We were and are living in his hands.
    Another song I have been listening to this week is "I have a shelter." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2-sc7XzhV8
    Erin <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great songs! Thanks, Kelly. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. God uses music in such an amazing way to touch & heal us! I am so glad that there are so many songs to bring you comfort & encouragement through your pain.

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog & for reading my weekly verses! I love posting them every week & I am so glad that you enjoy them!!

    You will be in my prayers today! :)

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King