Monday, July 4, 2011

Grateful To Be In the Land of the Free

Happy Fourth of July, Americans!  Although our country has its problems (spending into a deficit and rampant morbid obesity are the ones that frustrate me most), we also have a lot of good stuff going on.  Like freedom of speech.  As a writer and blogger, that one is huge for me.  If we lived nearly anywhere else, the government could legally step in and stop me from blogging, and you from reading.  So for that and many other reasons, I am grateful to live here.

Don Miller wrote a great, balanced post about the good things about being in America that I really like -- check it out here.  And while you're blog hopping, remember the star-shaped patriotic rhubarb pecan muffins I made for last year's Fourth?  Yum.

What are you up to on this sunny Fourth of July?  The Best Husband Ever and I slept in (just like last year, apparently -- our new patriotic tradition?), I already enjoyed a delicious green smoothie, and we'll be going over to the Best Inlaws Ever's house later for some barbecuing.  And I'm sure we'll be alternatively watching the fireworks from our living room window (we live up on a hill overlooking the valley where the fireworks go off) and stopping our dogs from menacing said fireworks.

Enjoy the day, friends, wherever you live!

"The last of the human freedoms; to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way." ~ Viktor Frankl


Photo source

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King