Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Gone Baking

Blueberry-liciousI have been baking up a storm these days!  And what I mean by that is I baked twice in the past week, even though it's hot here in Montana.  Of course some of said baking had to result in a batch of muffins, given that I used to be rather obsessed with them (this blog started out with the moniker Muffin Love, after all).

Last Thursday morning I made a batch of healthy blueberry muffins for my church's women's small group.  They turned out quite well!  I started with this recipe from Eating Well, then made some changes, with the final recipe going something like this:

  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour

  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 cup oats

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 1 large egg

  • 1/4 cup egg replacer

  • 1/2 cup stevia

  • 1/4 cup sugar

  • 1 cup buttermilk, or equivalent buttermilk powder and water

  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil

  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries


Then I spooned the batter into muffin cups and baked them for about 20 minutes at 400*F.  When they were finished, I of course proceeded to eat a muffin straight from the oven for breakfast.  Delicious.

Today my baking extravaganza continued with some banana bread.  I had four nearly-black bananas looking for a home, so my path was obvious.  I found this nutritious recipe on Allrecipes.com, and proceeded to turn my forlorn bananas into this:

IMG_6092 This time around I didn't make many changes to the original recipe.  I only substituted applesauce for the oil, agave for most of the honey, and egg replacers for the eggs, then added a bit of cinnamon.  Once again, a glorious result.  And, also once again, I enjoyed the fruits (er, breads?) of my labor for breakfast, topped with a bit of peanut butter.

I'm in the baking groove.  I think I might even bake again for this Thursday's small group.  But I need some new [mostly] healthy recipes to try out. 

What is one of your favorite baking recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King