Thursday, May 19, 2011

It's the End of the World As We Know It (Maybe)

Image source.


So.  Apparently there are a bunch of people out there convinced that the rapture/apocalypse/beginning of the end of the world is soon.  Really soon.  As in, this Saturday, May 21.  I know this is not exactly a current events or religion blog, but as a Christian I feel that I must weigh in.

My question is why May 21?  Based on what evidence?  Where is this all coming from?? Honestly, I have no idea.  Front runner Harold Camping says that he is totally and absolutely convinced that a massive worldwide earthquake will devastate the entire planet this Saturday.  When asked if he has any doubt that this will all go down as he described, Camping replied, "I have no doubt at all, because I trust implicitly. I don’t trust me or any man, but I trust the Bible implicitly."

Okay.  The Bible?  Seriously?  That's where Camping is getting his evidence?  Because Jesus is pretty darn explicit in stating that no one is going to know when the apocalypse will come. In fact, even Jesus himself does not know.

When we see Jesus and his disciples chatting about the details of the end times, Jesus rounds things off by stating, "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father" (Matthew 24:36 -- check out the entire chapter here).

So, let me get this straight -- in the Bible, which Christians believe is the word of God, Jesus himself says that no one except God knows when the end times is going down.  Right?

Apparently, Jesus forgot to add a caveat -- "No on knows . . . but only the Father . . . and Harold Camping."  :(

This gets me really riled up.  I mean, yes, the apocalypse could be on Saturday, May 21.  But based on the evidence that I have -- and that every Christian, including Harold Camping, has -- the date and time of the apocalypse is not able to be predicted.  So for people like Camping to flutter about spreading this message of absolute truth based on no presented evidence -- a message that flies in the face of the Bible, the main evidence piece for all Christianity -- really, really, really bugs me.

Not all Christians are insane and delusional.  I promise.

But then . . . I could be wrong about May 21.  I guess we'll see soon enough.

Alright, time to dismount my soapbox.  Thanks for indulging me.  :)

What's your take?  What do you believe about the end of the world, if anything?

5 comments:

  1. Thank you..really informative!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. U'r not God to tell everybody world ending Saturday or in 2012..and then people believe too like they fools..

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Messy Vibrant Lovely Life Blogging life to the fullest since 2008 Skip to content HomeAboutBeautiful Bloggery ← It’s the End of the World As We Know It (Maybe) [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King