Thursday, February 3, 2011

How To Be Sick

1/365

Last week I came down with the intense cold that is flowing through our community.  It sucked.  Of course, when does being sick not suck?  However, my illness did not prove to be a total loss, because I was able to learn something in the process.

In the more recent past, sickness has not slowed me down until I'm really, really sick.  For example, back in the winter of 2008, I started getting some sort of cold or flu.  Instead of taking to my bed and guzzling tea and Airborne, I went to the gym.  And not only did I do my usual hour on the elliptical, but I followed that up by an hour of step class.  Smart?  Not so much.  But I didn't stop there.  Feeling even worse, I stubbornly forced myself to keep to my daily routine.  I substitute taught in a local school.  I met a friend for coffee. 

By the time I went home that evening, I felt ten times worse than I had in the morning.  I was reduced to a shivering, feverish, congested, achy mess.  I couldn't bring myself to get up off the couch once I finally let myself lay down.  I couldn't sleep either.  It was bad.  And my recovery lasted weeks because as soon as I felt slightly better, I took to the gym again. 

This past week, I did better.  At first I wasn't sure if I was getting sick (although I had my suspicions), so I kept up with my routine.  I Zumba-ed, went to the women's group at my church last Thursday morning, and went out to lunch with a couple of friends.  But it didn't take too long to realize that my suspicions had become reality, so I immediately gave myself up to the couch.  I drank healing teas, took Airborne and DayQuil and NyQuil and let myself rest. 

Did it suck?  Yes.  Plus I had to fend off my brain's urgings to get up and do something with myself already.  But I forced myself to couch-dwell for all of Friday and Saturday, following that up with a laid back Sunday and Monday.  And guess what?  This resting thing works.  Although I'm still dealing with a lingering cough and runny nose, I otherwise feel completely healed.  No weeks of lingering illness for me this time around! 

You might be wondering why I devoted a whole post to this topic.  I know that it's not rocket science -- when you're sick, obviously you should take care of yourself.  But I've never practiced this before.  I suppose that I never believed that doing nothing (which is, admittedly, boring -- how much Lego Indiana Jones can a girl play?) is a must-have tool in your illness-fighting toolbox.  But now I believe in the power of taking a few sick days.  I am astounded at how the body can heal itself from these nasty wintertime bugs with the help of dedicated rest.  Amazing!

How do you take care of yourself when you get sick?  Do you have any surefire remedies?

5 comments:

  1. Well done!! Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth @ To the FullesFebruary 3, 2011 at 10:28 AM

    Thanks, Jo! I'm glad, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family and I SWEAR by this: <a href="http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Wellness-Herbal-Resistance-Liquid-Alcohol-Free-4-fl-oz-118-28-ml/1496?at=0http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Wellness-Her... />Beth, thanks for sharing your story and your progress of learning how to take care of yourself...to listen to yourSelf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post, Beth. I've been going through the whole bronchitis/sinusitis thing too, so I can definitely vouch for the power of rest. Lots of liquids, plenty of sleep, and taking it easy while you're away - and meds if you need them - are the best approach to the crud, in my book.

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King