Sunday, November 7, 2010

Derby Bout

Image by Athena Photography
Remember how I took up roller derby?

Last night the Best Husband Ever and I attended our first derby bout with some friends.  It was awesome.  The team I'm now officially a member of lost, but it was super fun to watch.  

People that I've told I'm doing derby have responded with some mixture of shock, horror, and awe.  They think that, I believe, that I'm already doing the high-contact aspect of the sport. 

Let me set the record straight -- I'm not.  The league requires participants to go through rigorous training, and you have to pass rigorous tests (both written and on wheels) before being allowed to even practice scrimmaging, much less skate in a bout.  So I'm not body checking anyone.  What I am doing is getting comfortable on my skates, drilling, practicing planned falls, and doing my share of unplanned falling, too. 

It rocks.  And I'm already musing if it's possible to roller skate and dance with my hoop at the same time . . . 

* * *

I'm raising money to support National Novel Writing Month!  Click here for more details.

3 comments:

  1. best husband ever best get his video taking skills going. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth @ To the FullesNovember 8, 2010 at 10:20 AM

    Haha...uh, no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlikely Oilfield WiNovember 16, 2010 at 8:42 AM

    Hi! I found you on hoopcity while searching Body Hoops teacher training (I'm starting in a couple of months), love your blog! I'm actually one of the founders of the roller derby team in my old city of Lafayette, Louisiana. Doesn't seem like it should, but the love of the hoop and the love of the skate seem to go together. Good luck on the team, derby is fantastic ;)

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King