Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Faithful Dress

Day 44 / Hopeful
I took these photos in spring 2007 after two separate teaching interviews. This morning, I wore the same outfit to another interview. Somehow, in spite of all my weight fluctuation and body perception shifts, some clothes still fit. My wedding ring still fits. Jeans, of course, are a different story, but then I've never felt comfortable in them.

I don't know what I'm trying to say, exactly. Maybe I'm just trying to encourage myself. I don't know that today's interview went all that well. But it's something that I tried, right? I felt (and still feel) pretty down after the interview, but did not slink home to hide and/or self-medicate with food. Instead, I'm now sipping a latte in a local cafe (where somehow out of the fifteen-ish patrons, I am the only female), blogging, emailing, and (hopefully, soon) noveling.

Part of me still feels weepy. But I bet that a good portion of that has to do with the fact that I'm wearing eye makeup, which I only apply for special occasions. It makes my eyelids feel heavy and my skin break out. No, thanks!

What's your take on makeup? Yes, no, sometimes, always?
Day 42 / Professional

4 comments:

  1. Chin up girl! What you're doing is amazing, even if you can't see it. I always read your posts because of your courage, conviction and (most importantly) honesty. Life has this amazing way of working out if you just keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jo. That means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, congrats on getting out there and doing anohter interview. Cute dress, by the way. :)As for the makeup, I only wear it once in a long while for special occasions. To me it's a nuisance to have to put it on just to take it back off later. I know, we could say the same thing about clothes, but a) we don't dispose of the clothes when we take them off, and b) we can generally go around makeupless, but not clotheless. ;)As for the jeans thing, some people just aren't jeans people. No biggie.Have a blessed day, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hate jeans, i haven't worn them for years. i mean seriously, they are rough and hard and scratchy and there are so many buttons and zippers and they NEVER fit right. thats my take at least. give me sweatpants or yoga pants or a skirt any day. mostly sweatpants. ;)you wrote something to me recently that im going to edit back to you:Cheers: That my dear writing, interviewing, artsty, hooping friend is making huge, if painful and hard-won, progress in her recovery.Tears: That she doesn’t know it…yet.

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King