Monday, August 30, 2010

Overnight Oat Success!

Overnight oat success!
Remember my overnight oats in a jar fail? Well, despair no longer! On my last day in the hallowed year of age twenty-seven, I enjoyed a successful batch of overnight oats (also in a jar, but a clean one, not a waning jar of nut butter).

The night before I stirred the following together:
  • 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1/3 cup plain yogurt, non-fat
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/2 T coconut butter
  • 1/4-ish tsp of the world's best vanilla extract
  • 1 stevia packet (or other sweetener of your choice)
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 2-ish T raisins
  • 1 plum, sliced
I closed up the jar and set in in the fridge overnight. In the morning I gobbled the victorious results down with great exuberance. Success!

(Oh, and in case you were wondering about Saturday's quasi-mysterious slideshow post . . . yes, it was my birthday this weekend. The Best Husband Ever again turned out the best, most timely gift a gal could hope for.)

2 comments:

  1. Just curious, Betherann, since I'm more of a protein-for-breakfast gal: What's the advantage of doing oatmeal this way as opposed to cooking it? I like my oatmeal warm, so doing it in the fridge strikes me as odd, but is there a nutritional benefit to the overnight method?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so, Tracy. It just saves time and a dirty pot in the morning. Also, it's good for hot days . . . but now that the weather is turning cool I think my overnight oats will have to wait until spring.

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King