Monday, July 12, 2010

Simplify

Life can get so complicated sometimes. I'll admit that sometimes those complications are self-inflicted and completely unnecessary. For example, the Best Husband Ever and I had a little conflict yesterday. Small (and sometimes big) conflicts are expected in a marriage or relationship where you are living in close quarters with such an important person that so much history and emotion revolves around. Except I made our unremarkable moment of friction into something else. I translated my hurt into "He doesn't love me!" when really he's just a human being who is as imperfect as I am and who does love me very much. Why do I create such drama out of the normal currents of relationship? (Oh, and we resolved our little conflict after I stopped being offended and huffy.)

This morning, I got to thinking about how wonderful simplicity can be. I was picking through the fridge and pantry for some breakfast, trying to decide what I felt in the mood for. As you know, I've been eating oat bran berry crumble daily and so I had planned on enjoy another crumble this morning. Except I just didn't want it today. Apparently I was all crumble-d out. I wasn't even hungry, and was all set to have a boring bowl of cereal just to get something in my belly. The eating disordered side of me protested: You can't just sacrifice a meal and eat something you don't really want! If that is the case, why eat at all?

Thankfully, sanity (or God?) stepped in. It's just food, said Sane Me. Put gas in the tank and get going on the day! So I did. I crunched down an apple, then enjoy a small bowl of 2% cottage cheese. And let me tell you -- that breakfast was glorious. Sure, it wasn't complicated, and it wasn't fancy, and it sure was no crumble, but it was good. It satisfied and it fueled me. It was actually incredibly delicious. Isn't there some famous quote about simplicity?

"Simplify, simplify."
(Henry David Thoreau)

Oh. Right.

How do you simplify life in this very complicated world?


1 comment:

  1. ok this is too strange. i ate an apple for breakfast too, with the same thoughts you had. i haven't had an apple in MONTHS. and out of nowhere, i just pick one up...and then you write about it.we are simply connected.

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King