Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Oat Bran Fan

I never hopped on the oatmeal bandwagon that seems to have swept the healthy blogging world. Health foodies right and left were whipping up daily bowls of oatmeal in various decadent, delicious concoctions while I stuck with my cold cereal messes. I did attempt oatmeal for breakfast a couple of times (way back in the day), but as tasty as the results were they never seemed to fill me up. Perhaps it was because I was still over-exercising while underweight and my body needed more fuel. Or maybe it was because I was too lazy to cook before work everyday. Whatever the reason, I never become one of oats' many blogging fan girls (and boys).

This past week, however, I've been wanting something warm and hearty for breakfast. Don't ask me why -- it's been so hot here that you'd think I'd want smoothies for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But I didn't. Instead, randomly, I wanted oat bran.

So that's what I ate. My first oat bran breakfast was super chocolaty, with hefty scoops of chocolate Amazing Grass and dark cocoa powder, plus cacao nibs and shredded coconut for toppings. It was enjoyable and filling, but a little too decadent for my morning meal. For my next attempt, I toned down the sweetness. This time I combined my oat bran with pumpkin puree, cinnamon, my favorite vanilla extract, and a bit of maple syrup, stirring in small handfuls of dried cranberries and crushed pecans at the end. Bowl number two really hit the spot, and both the chocolate and the maple cinnamon bowls were far more filling than my oatmeal breakfasts of long ago.

Am I joining the ranks of the blogosphere's oat lovers at last? Maybe . . . !

I want to send out a big thank you for your encouraging comments on yesterday's post. They made my day! I really appreciate your words (and you, wonderful readers!). Also, I was featured on the Foodie Blogroll last week, which was a fun surprise. And, while you're exploring the web, be sure to hop over to enter Clare's ToeSox giveaway, and then go see Maggie to congratulate her on getting married last week.

Happy Tuesday, y'all!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not really an oat fan either! But maybe I should give them another chance. That bowl looks quite delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Austin GroupOn link. I'm excited to see what deals I can get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wilford Brimley would be proud of you, ha ha.I'm not a big oatmeal fan either unless it is oatmeal cookies ;)

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King