Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pizza Wednesday

It's pizza Wednesday! Well, that's not quite accurate (although it is officially Pizza Wednesday at the local natural food store's hot bar). As it's only eleven o' clock in the morning as I write this, I haven't yet consumed any pizza. However, I have been making quite a few tortilla pizzas for dinner this week. Besides, isn't it about time that we had some food on this food(ish) blog?

You'll notice that this recipe does not adhere to any sort of diet designed for Crohn's folks, like the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. The reason is that my attempt at eating according to the SCD caused my eating disorders to blow up big time. As a result I've put on unnecessary weight and experienced some extra-serious depression. Basically, eating according to the SCD messed with my eating disorder-prone mind.

So I'm off the SCD. I'm off any "diet," unless you include eating whole and nutritious foods in the definition of the word. Interestingly, returning some light whole-grained wheat products to my meals has not caused any Crohn's backlash, as I had expected that it might. In fact, I've been feeling pretty good for a couple of weeks, with only fairly mild Crohn's-related discomfort. Even more importantly, I feel better emotionally. I don't feel out of control or crazy, and the consuming tide of depression has receded. Even if my Crohn's blows up in a major way because of my food changes, for me the pain and discomfort are worth stay out of eating disorder territory. That's an ugly no-woman's-wasteland.

That said, bring on the pizza! I've been experimenting with using various cheeses that contain light, healthy fats, such as goat cheese and part-skim mozzarella. My favorite version so far has includes slide pimento-stuffed green olives. Growing up I was strictly a black olive kind of girl, but now it's green all the way!

Mozzroom and Pimento-Stuffed Green Olive Pizza

1 tortilla (I used La Tortilla Factory's low carb/high fiber whole wheat tortilla)
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1-2 mushrooms, sliced
4 pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
1/4 cup spinach leaves
2 T part-skim mozzarella cheese
garlic, basil, and oregano to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp dried of each)

Preheat the oven to 375*F. While it is warming, grease a baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place the tortilla on the pan and spread the tomato sauce and garlic, basil, and oregano over it until the tortilla is completely covered. Place the vegetables on the tortilla, then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and slightly bubbled. Slice, serve, and enjoy!

Makes 1 personal-sized pizza.


What's your olive of choice?

Buy Food Matters on DVD

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're feeling better! I've never tried tortilla pizza before, but I love experimenting with toppings on our homemade pizzas. We call them "Kitchen Sink" pizzas because we just go through our fridge and pantry, finding everything but the kitchen sink to top them. One of my favorite toppings is toasted pine nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alycia @ Fit n FreshJune 16, 2010 at 8:20 PM

    That pizza looks pretty good! I hate green olives though lol definitely need to try this out still (:

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King