Friday, March 12, 2010

Books, Bacon, and a Brand New Hummus

This afternoon the Best Husband Ever and I did something that we have not done in a long, long time -- we went on a reading date. Before we got married (when we were, obviously, dating) we used to do this frequently. We would head to our favorite couch-equipped bookstore, usually the local Barnes and Noble, set up shop on a pair of squashy sofa-chairs, and read. Sometimes there would be coffee involved, courtesy of the built-in Starbucks, and sometimes I would write.

That's what we did today. And it was fun! The hubby read while I worked on this article, a review of the latest and greatest from Stretch Island Fruit Company:

Stretch Island Fruit Company in [Local Stores]: Two Product Reviews

It was my first time eating fruit leathers and similar products. Since it was also the first reading date for the Best Husband Ever and I in ages, I'd say my Friday was pretty first-y, just in time for Christina's latest round of Friday Firsts.

I also had a couple of other firsts this week. In order to get more lean protein in my diet without the stomach-irritating properties of fattier red meats, I bought (and ate!) some turkey bacon. It was fairly good cooked up in a stove-top pan, but best when I added maple syrup to the bacon mid-sizzle.

Since I'm a hummus fanatic and am in the process of making peace with coconut butter, I bet you can guess what new concoction emerged from my blender this week. That's right -- coconut hummus! Or, as I dubbed it, coconummus. Genius, right? Probably not. Regardless, this spread was light and had a gentle coconut flavor to it. Next time I might add some more coconut butter or oil to increase the flavor. Try it and tell me what you think!

Coconummus

1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
1 not-heaping T garlic, minced (not heaping? I know, it's another first for me!)
1/2 T coconut butter
1/2 T coconut oil
1-2 T lime juice to taste
water as needed

Add all of the ingredients to a blender/food processor and process until smooth. Play around with the lime-to-coconut-products ratio to find the taste that best suites you. Thin with water to aid in processing as needed.


I managed to not take any decent photos of my coconummus except for the above shot. For lunch I mixed the coconummus up with some Dijon and plopped it on top of some scrambled eggs with spinach and mushrooms. It tasted good, but not as good as Thursday's dinner, which was coconummus mixed into a plate of stir-fried veggies.

4 comments:

  1. Yay thanks for sharing all your firsts! Reading dates sound fun! I had turkey bacon w/ dinner last night too! I baked mine though. The coconummus sounds awesome and I love the name! You should bottle and manufacture it! Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather McD (HeatherMarch 14, 2010 at 6:47 AM

    3 of my favorite things in one meal - hummus, coconut, and Dijon. Wow, I didn't think that could be done. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 21st Century HousewiMarch 14, 2010 at 8:21 AM

    Your coconummus sounds really yummy. What a fantastic idea and a great name too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun twist to hummus! I will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King