Monday, February 1, 2010

Meet Me In Vancouver

Photo by Guang Niu/Getty Images

I cannot believe that the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver are about to begin. And by "about" I mean next week . . . but they've still snuck up on me! It's a good thing that I stay in impeccable shape and in peak figure skating condition. It's not easy to do that one-legged backbend that I'm demoing in this photo.

Okay . . . so maybe that's not me. Maybe that is, in reality, Kim Yu-Na of South Korea. And that I'm not that bendy. None of that changes the fact that I have a morbid fascination with figure skating (and, to a lesser degree, ladies' gymnastics). I can get sucked into hour upon hour of gawking at the television during a figure skating competition. I think the sport is beautiful and
intense and . . . a little scary.

Scary how? In a few ways, in my opinion. First, as with gymnastics, the competitors seem to be getting younger and younger. How is it that Michelle Kwan was considered too old to compete when she was barely 20? And let's not even get into the body image issues that are embedded in the sport. For me, though, I watch the figure skating cringing a little, waiting for somebody to fall and crack their brains across the ice. Or, even worse to my freakish brain, their teeth.

But I watch it anyway. And I like it. I don't really go in for other Olympic sports as a spectator, but figure skating gets me every time.

What about you? Are you going to watch the Vancouver Olympics? Which is your favorite event?

Don't forget to enter the Progresso soup giveaway! Deadline is Friday, February 5, y'all.

2 comments:

  1. i totally forgot about the olympics. i guess im not really into it, but growing up i always liked the gymnastics and skating!i share your concerns, and actually discussed this with my husband yesterday. it is such a conflict for me. everything can be dangerous. but i guess the body image and development issues are close to my heart so i just consider it more. anyways...how is your hip doing??LOL- my word verification for this comment is "ducksupe" is that a new progresso flavor??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh there is a big thing about her skating with this little bracelet that the IOC is saying she is not allowed to wear but you can barely see it. I can't see what the big deal is but I if I had to guess I think it is because she is very bendy! LoL

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King