Saturday, January 23, 2010

Michelle Dozois: At-Home Exercise's Best Kept Secret

I'm an exercise DVD junkie. I have a fairly large collection of workout videos. From my first purchased DVDs (Yoga Booty Ballet -- don't judge) to Tae Bo, I own a nice range of at-home workouts and, more importantly, I use them all. (Well, most -- Yoga Booty Ballet has sort of fallen off my radar since I got more serious about fitness, but it is a great series for beginners.)

One of my favorite video fitness instructors is Michelle Dozois. An Amazon.com reviewer of one of her DVDs once said that she is a true professional, and its true. She gets the job done and works my body big time every session that I use one of her videos. I would rank Michelle's workouts right up there with Jillian Michaels, who is quite possibly the most popular fitness star at the moment.

But there's a difference between Jillian and Michelle. Unlike Jillian, of The Biggest Loser fame, I don't hear Michelle Dozois' name being chatted up in fitness communities. In my opinion, that's a real shame, because her workouts are fantastic. Please don't misunderstand me -- I'm not trying to dis Jillian. I love Jillian and the horrible/wonderful things she does to my muscles and my metabolism. But I love Michelle Dozois, too, and am sad that she does not get to hang out in the fitness industry limelight as prominently.

So I thought I'd give Michelle a little time in the Kitchen Courage spotlight (if you can really call anything on this little blog "spotlit"). I first found Michelle when I tried Shape's Bikini Body Camp Transforming DVD, which she co-starred in with two other fitnessistas. After doing a little research, I got my hands on one of Michelle's 10 Minute Solutions videos, Carb and Calorie Burner. Through some Netflixing, I discovered her amazing series of workouts produced by Breakthru Fitness, and you can bet that those DVDs soon found a home on my shelf.

I think that Michelle Dozois' Breakthru Fitness DVDs are some of the at-home workout world's best kept secrets. Michelle's workouts will shred your body just as much as Jillian's, if not more. Michelle has made four DVDs:
  • The Ultimate Workout -- This is Michelle's newest video, as far as I can tell. It contains 30 minutes of [really butt-kicking] cardio, 30 minutes of strength, and 15 minutes of yoga and stretching which can be done separately or combined.
  • Your Best Body Circuit -- Michelle's 50 minute circuit workout is my favorite of hers, I think. You'll need a couple of sets of weights, a resistance band, and a yoga mat, and you can do the full 50 minute workout or a 30 minute express version.
  • Rockin' Body Cardio Jam -- This is 45 minutes of cardio, plus a cool-down, also with an express 30 minute version. You'll recognize the same crew from Michelle's circuit DVD.
  • Slim, Strong, & Sexy Body Sculpt -- This time around Michelle delivers two 30 minute strength/sculpting workouts. One is for upper body, and one targets the lower body. Again, you'll need weights of your choosing, a body band (although one came with my DVD), and a yoga mat or a soft surface.
I'll stop gushing now. And in case you were wondering, no, I am not being endorsed by representatives of Michelle Dozois or Breakthru Fitness. I simply think that Michelle Dozois' workouts are effective and fun (well, as much fun as Jillian's) and worth every cent. If you don't believe me, check Michelle out on Amazon. Better yet, look Michelle up on YouTube and try one of her DVDs' previews, like this one:



If you do know of Michelle Dozois, or if you try one of her home workouts, what do you think? I'd love to know your opinion of her. Let's spread a little Dozois love! In the meantime, happy sweating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King