Friday, October 30, 2009

Happy Early 'Ween!

I know that Halloween is not until tomorrow, but since I work at an elementary school, we're celebrating today! The kids will be donning their costumes at the end of the day and then parading through the school. I can't wait! The best costume that I saw last year was a banana.

To create my own alter-ego, I put together a simple costume that is educational, warm, and comfortable. Can you guess who I am? I'll give you a few hints:
  • I'm a character from one of my favorite books
  • I have a passion for the written word
  • I sold my hair

Did you guess? The answer is . . .

Today I'm dressed as Jo March, a character from Louisa May Alcott's fantastic novel, Little Women. It will be interesting to see if any students will know who I am without me telling them. So far I've had to explain my costume to all of the adults I've come across, so I'm not feeling too optimistic. The school librarian hasn't seen me yet, so I'm still hopeful that somebody will know who I am! Whatever happens, though, it will be a great opportunity to open the door to some more fabulous young adult literature!

Are you dressing up for Halloween? Do you plan to give out treats? For the past few years the Best Husband Ever and I have hidden from trick-or-treaters at such places as Barnes and Noble and our in-laws' house. Now that we're really part of this neighborhood, being homeowners and all, we might stick around for this Halloween. I'm not sure what we'll pass out, since I'm not a big fan of circulating more refined sugar. At school I've got some fresh apples and Fiber One bars for my students. I think they're yummy, but the kids will probably think I'm a nerd. And you know what? I don't mind being the nutrition/book nerd in the least!

1 comment:

  1. Whitney@whitsgettingOctober 30, 2009 at 10:13 AM

    I love your costume, but then I always loved Little Women growing up!

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King