Saturday, August 29, 2009

Triathlon Morning

It's here -- triathlon morning. In two hours, I will be starting the swimming leg of my premiere tri-sport event. And I'm not nervous. Nope. Not me. Not a bit.

Or something.

I'll be honest -- I'm trembling with anxiety. Me? In a triathlon?! The thought keeps running through my head, "What was I thinking?!"

At the same time, though, there is excitement threaded through the nerves. I'm not sure why I'm getting so anxious about the event. After all, it's not the Olympic trials. I'm not even competing in a moderately fast heat. I am entered in the beginner's "Try a Tri" heat, which has a time limit of 30 minutes for the 500 yard swim. Seeing as I completed a 1,000 yard time trial in just over 26 minutes last week, I'm not worried. In fact, it should be rather fun.

So what am I worried about? Well . . . that my sports bra will fall off in the water . . . that my bike will break when I'm a 6 mile walk from assistance . . . that I'll look doofy dashing from the pool to the bike transition area . . . that I'll look fat . . . that I'll have a dire need of a bathroom and none will be available . . . that I'll freeze as I bike soaking wet . . . that my electrolyte replinishers will make me sick . . . but mostly, that I'll disappoint myself.

But see, I don't think that last fear is possible. I mean, whatever happens, today is a PR day. There is nothing disappointing about a personal record! I'm sure that when I show up for the pre-race meeting in a short (gulp!) 50 minutes, I will find myself bitten by the bug of sportsmanlike camaraderie, a sense of community, and a spirit of adventure.

I'm packed. I'm dressed. I'm fueled. Now all I can do is show up, breathe, and tri my best. The rest is in God's hands.

Current weather conditions:

Fair

62°F
(17°C)
Humidity: 56 %
Wind Speed:N 6 MPH
Barometer:30.06 in (1015.70 mb)
Dewpoint:46°F (8°C)
Wind Chill:62°F (17°C)
Visibility:10.00 Miles










I'm feeling timidly excited. Triathlon, here I come . . . !

1 comment:

  1. Oh I am so excited for you!! Saying a prayer things are going well today. hugs!

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King