Friday, July 17, 2009

Melon-rrific Recipe Review

When I go to the gym to use one of their elliptical machines, I really enjoy reading magazines. I have a plethora of favorites, including Runner's World, Eating Well, Natural Health, Body + Soul, and Cooking Light. Not only does perusing magazines help take my mind off what is sometimes a slog of a workout, but I also find it quite relaxing. Similarly, one of my methods of chilling out is to take to the stair mill machine with a good book and read for a half an hour.

While meandering through the June 2009 issue of Cooking Light during an elliptical-ing session, I came across a delicious-looking recipe. Okay, to tell the truth, I came across a ton of delicious-looking dishes. One in particular did stick out, though. It was a simple recipe for Cool Honeydew-Mint Soup, a kind of summertime dessert gazpacho. I noted that the magazine claimed that all recipes would be posted on their website, so I made plans to look up the recipe when I got home.

Of course, I returned the magazine to the library first. When I researched the recipe, I could not find it! Luckily, the Cookin' Canuck also decided to give the recipe a whirl and posted it on her blog.

Recpie squared away, I quickly acquired a honeydew melon, some fresh mint from my mother-in-law's garden, and a few other ingredients. I blended it all together and let it dwell in the fridge and -- voila! A few hours later the Best Husband Ever were enjoying a light, sweet dinner gazpacho. He's not a big melon fan, but he confessed that the chilled soup wasn't bad. I found the soup to be superb and made it again a week later. Even now I have a newly-purchased honeydew melon waiting in the kitchen to become another refreshing batch of chilled summery soup. It is tangy and bursting with natural sweetness, and both simple and cheap to prepare.

Heard enough? Love melons? Want to try the recipe out for yourself? Without further tantalization, here is Cooking Light's recipe for Cool Honeydew-Mint Soup, courtesy of the Cookin' Canuk.

Cool Honeydew-Mint Soup

1 (2-pound) honeydew melon, peeled, seeded, & cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
1 tbsp honey (I used half a packet of stevia)
1/8 tsp salt
6 thin lime slices (for garnish)
6 fresh mint sprigs (for garnish)

Put 1 cup of the melon into a blender. Add 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, lime juice, honey, and salt. Blend until smooth. Add the remaining melon and blend again. Pour the melon mixture into a bowl, cover, and chill for at least 1 hour.

Ladle the soup into 6 bowls. Each serving will be about 3/4 cup. Garnish each serving with a thin slice of lime and a sprig of mint.

Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King