Friday, July 24, 2009

Green Smoothie Week, Day Six

Can you believe that it's already the penultimate day of green smoothie week? I definitely can't. This has been a big week -- my job teaching summer school came to a close, I entered a 10K race to run tomorrow, and I took a rest day today. Well, sort of. I hiked up a mountain, but that doesn't count as work . . . right? Anyway, I got pretty close to a rest day. I didn't even go into super-vacuum or super-mow mode in an attempt to make up for my lack of exercise.

I was rather distracted, though. After said hike and a lovely phone call with an old friend, I headed to the mall to take advantage of its air conditioning. While there, I fell in love.

I mean, who wouldn't? Who could help it? Not me. His name (we think .-- the jury's still out) is Oliver. He's a shy, floppy-eared chihuahua who apparently enjoys attempting to roughhouse with big dogs. It's a little hard for him to manage without getting injured due to his size, but he gives it a good shot.

As the pups were all getting to know one another, I looked on with today's green smoothie in hand. Except today's smoothie wasn't quite green. It was brown (ish). But it tasted wonderful. I brought some citrus in for this one, and the result was very refreshing. Perfect for a hot summer day of dog wrangling.

Brown Monster

1/2 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 orange, peeled
2 cups spinach
1/2 packet stevia
1 handful ice cubes

Blend! Pour! Enjoy!

Serves 1.


I'm still not 100% sure if I want to run tomorrow's 10K race. Any thoughts out there on the blogosphere? I'm definitely going to run, it's just a matter of what and when. The race doesn't start until 9:35 AM, when it will already be getting hot. I'd rather run earlier, and run longer. I've got my sights set on a half-marathon, folks! So racing a 10K just kind of seems like a waste of money since I can train for what I'd rather, and do it for free. Plus, I can still take full advantage of the farmer's market if I do a longer, earlier run. What's a running blogger to do?

2 comments:

  1. You should bag the running and do something else that burns fewer calories but still gets you out. Kayaking? Tree climbing? Imaginary Running? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried climbing a tree in our advanced age? It's quite hard now, apparently. Sad day! But imaginary running...sounds intriguing. Is that at all like Zen running? Chi running? Er...tai chi running? Hey, you commented! :D

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King