Saturday, February 21, 2009

New Butters

I recently had the opportunity to try out P.B. Loco's gourmet peanut butters. They offer a wide variety of flavors, from regular smooth or chunky to more exotic tastes. Of course I opted for the non-plain options! I tried: Jungle Banana, Asian Curry Spice, Sumatra Cinnamon & Raisin, Raspberry White Chocolate, Chocolate-Chip Cookie Dough, and CocoaBanana.

My thoughts? They're all delicious. Well, as far as I know -- I haven't tried the Raspberry White Chocolate yet since I have two jars of other brands' white chocolate flavors open. All they rest are really yummy, though. The Asian Curry Spice is more savory, so it's probably best to include that one in dinner recipes like a chicken satay or peanut-y stir-fry. The Sumatra Cinnamon & Raisin is fabulous, with exotic flavors that are less sweet than other versions of this flavor that I've tried. The two banana flavors are great, but taste similar that it hardly seems worth having two of them, one with chocolate and one without. My favorite, though, is the chocolate-chip cookie dough. It's on the sweet side, sure, and definitely a dessert peanut butter, but it's deeeelicious.

I'm not sure if I'd spend the money to mail order peanut butters, but I would definitely nab them again if I saw them at the grocery store. Have you tried any of P.B. Loco's concoctions? Their websites offer great recipes, store locations where you can buy sandwiches made with their products, and recommendations on how to eat their butters. But you don't have to go there, because I'm going to do the same thing right here at Kitchen Courage. Here are some of my preferred ways of ingesting these fabulous nutty spreads. What are some of yours?

Jungle Banana or CocoaBanana: a Mess O' Potassium bowl.

Asian Curry Spice or Sumatra Cinnamon & Raisin: a microwave baked apple.
Chop an apple of your choice (I like super crunchy reds, like Jongalodes) into bite-sized chunks. Microwave for 1 minute. Remove and stir, then stir in 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter. Microwave for 30 more seconds, stirring once again upon removal. This works great with Nutella as well as regular, chocolate, or white chocolate peanut butters. Yum!

Chocolate-Chip Cookie Dough: spread on a lightly (or un-) salted rice cake. This tastes great with just about any flavor peanut butter, but this is my favorite pairing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King