Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Welcome, Mr. President

"For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies.

"It is the kindness to take in a stranger when the levees break; the selflessness of workers who would rather cut their hours than see a friend lose their job which sees us through our darkest hours.

"It is the firefighter's courage to storm a stairway filled with smoke, but also
a parent's willingness to nurture a child, that finally decides our fate.

"Our challenges may be new, the instruments with which we meet them may be new, but those values upon which our success depends, honesty and hard work, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism -- these things are old.

"These things are true. They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history."

~ Barack Obama, January 20, 2009


Read Obama's full inaugural address.

Photo credit.


2 comments:

  1. I take it you're the same as me, mildly apprehensive but conditionally approving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose...I'm excited about Obama's passion and willingness to try new things, but I do think he needs to be careful. Change simply for the sake of change is not necessarily good. Nor is it necessarily bad. At this point, I hear a lot of optimistic talk, and am interested in seeing how this translates into action. It's well and good to say that we need to change our education system, our economy, our parenting trends. Now I want to know how Obama is going to accomplish all those things he's said "We can" to. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King