Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Slow and Fruity

Encouraged by the success of my first slow cooker endeavor, I decided to give it another shot. Besides, I've got a Costco-sized bag of chicken breasts in my freezer that are crying out for a purpose. And so, meet another Crock-Pot chicken dinner.

This time I prepped the chicken at night, refrigerated the mixture until the morning, and then set it in the slow cooker before I headed out the door to work. As a result, the chicken was more thawed than in my first attempt (where I put the frozen chicken straight into a heated Crock-Pot), and the 10 hours of cooking turned it a little dry. Still, it wasn't bad. Next time I do an at-night prep, I'll include a little water to counter the drying.

Dryness aside, this chicken recipe was a winner. Tasty and tangy, intriguing flavors combined with fruit and the meat to make a wholly satisfying meal. Based off of this recipe, I served the chicken over cracked bulgur wheat and with a side salad and two TWD rugelach cookies for dessert.

Fruited Fall Chicken

1 chicken breast
1/3 large onion, sliced
1 T orange juice
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp grated orange peel
2/3 garlic cloves, minced
2 heaping T dried branberries
1/2 cup diced pineapple

Place the onion and chicken in the slow cooker. Combine the spices in a separate bowl, then pour the mixture over the chicken. Sprinkle with fruit. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Serve over brown rice, bulgur wheat, couscous, or with your whole grained carb of choice. Serves 2.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, yum Betherann! I am always looking for slow-cooker recipes. Definitely a bookmark!

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King