Wednesday, December 5, 2007

In a little over a week, the church I attend is holding a holiday craft/bake sale to help fund a trip to Malaysia next year. I plan to contribute baked goods both to sell for folks to eat on the spot as well as to buy for gifts, or at least to take away. For this endeavor, today I made my very first batch of scones! I cannot believe how light, fluffy, and utterly delicious these lemon berry babies turned out. Hopefully they will freeze and thaw just as nicely. In fact, they are so good that, as I remarked to the Best Husband Ever a moment ago, I may even like them better than muffins. Who knew that that was possible?

Lemon Berry Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup vanilla yogurt (I used fat-free)
1 egg (I used 1/4 cup Egg Beaters)
1/4 cup applesauce

1 cup berries of your choice (I used a frozen mix)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another bowl, leaving the berries to the side for now. Make sure the wet components are well-blended before stirring it into the dry ingredients. Mix until the batter is light and fluffy and the dry ingredients are just moistened. Fold in the berries. Grease a baking sheet (I used Pam's canola oil spray) and dropping heaping tablespoons of batter onto it, spacing the globs o' goodness out by about two inches on all sides. Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops are barely browned. Remove, allow to cool for a few moments, and then -- devour!

1 comment:

  1. Love the recipes on your blog. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King