Friday, November 30, 2007

Well, now.

November 30. The last day of NaNoWriMo and NaBloPoMo. I can't believe that these simultaneous thirty-day whirlwinds are about to come to a close in two short hours, and already have in other, earlier parts of the world. But most of all, I'm finding it hard to believe that I made it. In thirty days, I wrote over 50,000 new words of fiction and completed a (very rough) first draft. For a month, I posted here daily. So. The question now becomes, was it worth it? Am I glad that I took on these challenges?

In a word, yes.

I am glad for mostly obvious reasons about my participation and success in NaNoWriMo 2007. But I'm also glad that I participated in NaBloPoMo. This is the first time that I have been diligent about my blogging, and I find that I am now more interested in what else is percolating in the blogosphere, what other people are saying and thinking. Is everything out there worthwhile or weighty? Of course not. I mean, I posted a barely cohesive blurb about and, at best, a passable photograph of my dirty kitchen. Whoop dee doo. But even so, I am glad for this adapted view of the internet community, for the fact that I can write the words "internet community" and believe that it exits with only a fair amount of mental scoffing.

So what did I do to celebrate my twin November victories? By finishing up the first draft of my novel to the taste of Moxiberry frozen yogurt with mango, blackberries, and pomegranates (the first time I've ever eaten pomegranate seeds -- they were okay, although not my favorite fruit product) and getting a nifty haircut. The yogurt was a chilly reward on this last day of icy November, but ridiculously delicious and so very healthy to boot. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I am glad you are here with me."
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King